Friday, October 8, 2010

New croque monsier madeleine recipe,

This recipe was modified from Martha Stewart's savory madeleine, makes 220 mini's.  I quartered the recipe amounts and added ham and cheese and a dash of nutmeg.  I also used white pepper instead of black pepper,  honey, instead of sugar (didn't have any) and coarse grain cornmeal, polenta, hoping for crunch. I guess it is different enough to be called my recipe now.

2T butter, browned
1/2 c AP flour
1/4 c polenta
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/8 t white pepper
1/8 t nutmeg
1 T honey
1 large egg
1/2 c whole milk
80 gm ham
80 gm gruyere

Resting 3 hours (would have been 1 hour, but I need to run errands)

The batter is looser than the last recipe, the brown butter smells great.

Used cooking spray. Cooked @ 425 for 12 minutes.

They carmelized nicely, maybe a little less time next time and a lower temperature, like 400 or 350.  The batter was at room temp.  They came out less floury than the last recipe, but corny tasting.  I will increase the flour and decrease the cornmeal.  The crunch was nice.  The ham and cheese get a little lost in the madeleine, but maybe others will like it that way.  I tend to like "in your face" flavors.  Maybe I will put in a couple dashes of liquid smoke, larger pieces of ham or a stronger flavored ham.  I will also grate the cheese coarser, not on microplane.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Pam,

    Last Sunday, we tasted your Madeleines(Sweety&Salty) with Erika,Audrey,Laurent,Laura at Brighton Beach. It was a great Success ! Everybody loved your madeleines. How about testing some madeleines & Croque Monsieur & Madame this Saturday ? CHeers.... Mee Ryung

    ReplyDelete