Sunday, January 31, 2010

Last night I made a bay scallop ceviche. I used blood orange, tarragon, lime, s&p, oo, a little ww vinegar. It was good. My first idea had been grapefruit and tarragon, but hubby got put on a statin for cholesterol and grapefruit is out of the picture for him. It was a very delicate flavor. I like the full flavored ceviche with cilantro, chiles and limes more, but I think there is an application for these flavors. I think next time I will use mustard, either ground or dijon in it, maybe I will do that later with the remaining scallops. Then I will reduce the remainder of the sauce for a fuller flavor to be used on fish.

I also made a bacon-shallot cream sauce to go with some shrimp ravioli "fra diavolo" Steve and I made a couple weeks ago with the remainder of a seafood feast we had for New Year's Eve. I can't remember the entire recipe for the shrimp stuffing except, a spicy tomato sauce I made and reduced with San Marzano tomatoes, s&p, red pepper flakes. I chopped up shrimp and folded it into the sauce when it had cooled and stuffed ravioli using Tyler Florence's pasta recipe.

The cream sauce was an experiment. I had no cream and it was too cold to go out and get some so I melted some 1/3 less fat cream cheese and added skim milk to it to the desired consistency. It worked out. I sauteed bacon and shallots, deglazed with saome white wine and reduced to a syrup, then added the "cream". I simmered it with the bacon and shallot as not to let the "cream"separate. I little s&p, it turned out to be a nice accompaniment to the spicy ravioli, garnished with chives.

I actually made a dessert, too. I made a low fat orange polenta cake recipe from my cookbook "Fresh". I halved the recipe so I wouldn't have to go to the store for more eggs. I ced the cupcakes with a cocoa icing I made from 1 stick butter, 1 cup confectioner's sugar and unsweetened cocoa powder. I set the cupcakes in a pool of blood orange juice to serve. Pretty good for low fat. We didn't feel comatosed after dinner. Not to say real cream in the sauce and oil in the cake would not have been fabulous, but that would have been almost too easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment