Monday, February 22, 2010

Went to Chicago had awesome food and wine. I can't remember what I made Tuesday for dinner. I made Tuna steaks on Wednesday. I served it with 4 sauces. Sirrcha and mayo, soy, an herb mustard pesto I made a while ago and a hoison-wasabi sauce (with soy). I also made quinoa like sushi rice, with vinegar. It was really good. I will use that application again for more grains.
Thursday I made etouffe with shrimp and chicken. I browned the chicken thighs and removed then I sauteed and lightly carmelized celery, carrot, onion and red bell pepper. I added flour and got it a little golden brown and then added beer, Old Speckled Hen. I reduced that a bit and added crushed tomatoes then put the chicken back in. I put in two bay leaves and simmered it for an hour and a half. I took out the chicken and let the sauce reduce. At the very end I put the chicken back in to warm up and added the shrimp at a low temperature to cook. I served it with sushi rice. Yum. I think I will make etouffee ravioli with what's left.
Saturday was not as big of a hit. I marinated flank steak in garlic, Italian herb seasoning (I made), oo and red wine. I wrapped it around grilled egglant, sauteed mushrooms, pepperocini, parsley and a little parmesan. I browned it and braised it. Like a Matambre, an Argentinian recipe. It was good, but I should have simply grilled the steak and used the reduced marinade as a sauce. But that would have been too easy. I served it with quinoa mixed with eggplant, mushrooms, red wine vinegar and goat cheese. I red in a cookbook this weekend that vinegar should be used like salt or pepper and adjusted at the end of dish just like salt or pepper.
Tuesday I remember aspargus roasted in duck fat. What was the meat???
Sunday was a pizza. I finally got a crispy crust, at least for a ww crust.
i think it was lamb chops Tuesday night. Simple prep and grilled. Yum. No starch.
OK, Sunday was pizza with eggplant and mushroom from Saturday, pepperocini and this awesome Virginia ham I got from FD. I put shredded mozz and jack cheese on it and topped it with garlic powder and my italian seasoning blend. Yum. It was probably one of the best I have made, in recent memory.
This week I have chicken thighs marinating in the freezer with store bought sauces: curry, mexican and asian. I still have ravioli and smoked salmon in the freezer, too. Maybe a meatless dish this week. . . doubtful.

No comments:

Post a Comment